Tuesday, May 24, 2011


Alright, yesterday and the day before I hauled home compost and soil for the first bed (can't fit it all in my trunk at once!) and finally got my first sprouted plants in there. On the right are my cucumber plants and to the left are my peas -all sprouted from seeds! In between are a couple rows of very small sprouts you can't see in the photo and through most of the rest of the space I sewed seeds that had been recommended to plant directly outside, not sprouted indoors ahead of time. Soon I hope to be looking at a bed full of peas, celery, lettuce, beets, carrots, kale, broccoli, spinach, cucumbers and brussell sprouts! As this is the first time I've ever planted a garden on my own and I was too impatient yesterday to go back and re-read I may have planted things a little too close together so we'll have to see what happens. My only complaint so far is that it really doesn't take that long to plant and I really seem to be enjoying working in the dirt. Next on my to do list is to dig up worms (as I've already found where they all seem to be living) and move them to the garden area. I'm just not sure I want to do that before everything sprouts though because I'm not sure if they might eat my seeds? Anyway, isn't it lovely? I've so been enjoying making it, I'll have to think of something else to build next!
I still have the second bed to fill, as you can see, and I think it will be mostly herbs. I've already got chamomile started, found some echinacea seeds and have some basil seeds, too. I'll need to spend some time researching what else will be most delicious and useful (some I already have in mind, ofcourse) and then make another seed shopping trip. 

The latest on the inside of the house is that I gave myself a few days off from looking at paint swatches. In my cleaning out frenzy I managed to sell off a cat tree (which my cats have been ignoring for years) and a broken record player, the proceeds of which recouped my wrong color losses -yay! And today I finally went back to the paint store and picked up new paint chips because no matter how much fun the Benjamin Moore website is, the online swatches are not accurate. I think I've found a blue I like now and am just going to give myself a little more time to look at the color in all different lights: morning sun, dusk, and under the overhead light only -once it's dark out. Just to complicate things I started looking at purples, too, and found a shade that is toward the redder side, making it a warmer purple. I had a purple bedroom for the last few years I lived with my parents and I certainly liked it back then but for whatever reason it hasn't been appealing since. Maybe for the bathroom? 
Here's a photo I came across just after returning home with the purple paint chips, gorgeous shade but not one I'm considering for inside.




No comments:

Post a Comment